Sunday, July 12, 2015

Elderflower Cordial

After the huge success of the lemon and barley cordial amongst family and friends. I decided to branch out a try Elderflower cordial, as suggested by Anne an ICA member.

Here’s how I got on….
I actually don’t like the smell of fresh elderflowers so I wasn’t expecting very much despite what others had told me about its pleasing fragrance. But after steeping the flowers in water almost immediately the kitchen was filled with this beautiful aroma and the longer it was left the more fantastic it smelled.

Unlike the lemon and barley cordial this mixture need a bit longer to ferment  and different recipes called for mix to be left for different time periods, from as short as a few hours to as long as three days. I tried all of these time frames and in between. I found the time frame most suited mine and my family’s pallet was when the mix was left to ferment for 24 hours.
I personally recommend drinking this with sparkling water, ice and some mint. Refreshing! 

For more information on cooking demonstrations, or ICA recipes, books and advice contact the ICA at admin@ica.ie, 01 668000 or An Grianán at admin@an-grianan.ie, 041 982 2119

No comments:

Post a Comment